Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Chocolate Tofu Mousse Tarts

In Year 7, I took my friend out to yum cha. Not being accustomed to the yum cha culture, I sneakily managed to get her to try (and enjoy) beef tendons and tripe before letting her know what she had actually eaten. And laughing my head off, of course.

As I was making these chocolate mousse tarts, I could help but to think how I could pull of the same trick again with these tarts- presenting innocent looking chocolate mousse tarts to an unsuspecting tofu hater and waiting til they’ve devoured half of it to let them know what the mousse is made out of! But of course, I’m much too mature to be pulling silly tricks like that now.

Nahhh…..I just couldn’t find a tofu-hater in time!




I’m not much of a fan of ‘healthy’ desserts or healthy food in general, but the idea of blending chocolate and tofu together to make something tasty sounded almost too good to be true. Could it really be that easy? And tasty? Surely it’d have the texture of mashed tofu, and have some sort of tofu taste???

I'm quite peculiar with the way I like my chocolate mousses though, and I wasn't quite impressed with the texture of this one, which was a bit like the ones you buy at the supermarket, not as stiff and airy as I'd like, and rather, a bit yoghurty in texture. But that's just me.

But apart from the texture the mousse both by itself and in the crust were pretty damn good! Though, of course, it tasted better in with the crust. Everything tastes better with an oreo crust ;) You honestly cannot taste the tofu, because the mousse is so rich and chocolatey you really can't taste anything else.....perfect for tricking people, I say (yeah, I'm still a bit obsessed with this idea).


Chocolate Tofu Mousse Tarts
Note: As I made some of mine into tarts and left some of them as mousses, the quantities for these two recipes don't match each other perfectly!

Oreo Crust
Recipe from Kraft
18 Oreos
3 Tbs Butter, melted

1. Place cookies in large resealable plastic bag; press bag to remove excess air, then seal bag. Use rolling pin to crush cookies to form fine crumbs.
2. Add butter; squeeze bag to evenly moisten crumbs.
3. Place crumb mixture onto bottom and up side of tartlet tins sprayed with cooking spray. Use immediately or refrigerate until ready to fill.

Chocolate Tofu Mousse
Recipe from My Darling Lemon Thyme
250g silken tofu
250g dark chocolate, melted
2 teaspoons pure maple syrup
2 teaspoons peanut butter (I omitted this)
grated chocolate, to serve

1. Blend all the ingredients until just smooth, be careful to not over mix.
2. Pour into the oreo crusts (or moulds if you're not making tarts) and garnish with grated chocolate.
3. Refrigerate for a few hours until set.

5 Comments:

Kristy Sayer-Jones @ Southern In Law said...

These look so good! I've seen so many yuummy looking recipes using tofu lately that it almost makes me wish I could eat it! (never thought i'd say that! :P)

Jennifer @ Delicieux said...

Oh my, these tarts look so good! It's hard to believe they contain tofu. I'm not a tofu lover, but I'd definitely devour one of these.

MaryMoh said...

Such a brilliant idea to bluff others....haha. Your mousse tarts look gorgeous and delicious. Wish I can have 2! Thanks very much for sharing.

Nic@diningwithastud said...

Mousse perfect achieved with tofu. Genius!!!

Nic@diningwithastud said...

Mousse perfect achieved with tofu. Genius!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails