Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Dry Wonton Mee


I've had a habit of being posting about my holidays notoriously late- often months and months after the trip, by which time I've mostly forgotten about details of the trip itself. This year, I've been meaning to post about my trip to Kuala Lumpur at the beginning of this year, but the (literally) thousands of photos to sort through, edit and then write about was such a big task that I'd always delay doing it, working on more recent bakes and eats instead.

I've still yet to pick all the photos I want to edit, much less edit them so it's probably never really going to happen, but it was an amazing trip- plenty of great cheap food everywhere I went!



I've grown quite fond of Malaysian food in the past years as more Malaysian eateries have popped up around here and there. I had a dry wonton mee on a lunch date with my friend a while ago, and I loved it so much that I was inspired to cook it myself the week after! I cheated and used the dumplings I took home from work instead of making my own so it was really just a matter of boiling the noodles, vegetables and dumplings- and it was so good!!

Will definitely be making this more often as a lazy lunch!


P.S: I'll be going on holidays until next year so I probably won't have time to visit anyone's blogs until next year, though if I'm lucky, I might be able to squeeze in some time to blog a bit! But until then, have a great holiday season!

Dry Wonton Mee Recipe

Recipe from here
6 fresh wantan noodles (I just bought a packet from the Asian grocers)A bundle of choy sum, washed and trimmed

For shallot oil
3 shallots, finely sliced
6 tbsp cooking oil

For the sauce:
1/2 tbsp sweet soy sauce
1/2 tbsp light soy sauce
1/2 tbsp oyster sauce

To serve:
Pork and prawn wantans
BBQ Pork (optional)

  1. For the shallot oil: In a wok, heat oil over medium heat. Once the oil is hot, add the shallots and cook for 7-8 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the shallots are golden brown. Remove from heat and set aside.
  2. Bring a large pot of water to the boil. Once boiling, add 1 piece of noodle and cook for 40-60 seconds (taste test a strand to check for doneness), then rinse in cold water. Quickly blanch again in water for 5 seconds and drain. Because i was using one packet, I put in about a serving (~1/4 of packet) in the water to cook at a time. Don't pour the whole packet into the water- it will stick together!
  3. Place ingredients for wantan mee sauce in a bowl and mix well. Add cooked noodles (from Step 2) and mix well to coat. Place noodle on serving plate. Repeat Step 2 and 3 for remaining noodles. You may need to change water after cooking 2-3 portions of noodles (if water becomes too starchy).
  4. Using same water as in Step 2 or a fresh pot of boiling water, blanch the vegetables for 15-20 seconds until cooked. Divide the vegetables between the 6 plates.
  5. Drizzle some shallot oil on the vegetable. Top the noodles with homemade char siew and serve with a small bowl of homemade wantans (3-4 wantans per person) and pickled green chillies.

8 Comments:

Nava K said...

I usually blanc the wanton rolls in hot water and rinsed with cold running water and its fine. Not sure if you used the same type like the ones we have here. I have made the soupy version before not not this dry type. Thanks for the simple yet inviting dish. Perhaps will make on Sunday

Like you, I am still struggling to write my travel journeys from last year and indeed, its about time.

Emma | Fork and Good said...

Blimey.. on holidays until next year?! Do you want to swap lives with me?

Got to say this whole post made me hungry and I'm not even entirely sure what it is.

So uncultured :(

Nippon Nin said...

ha ha ha ha ha. You're so fun and funny. I love noodle and this sounds simple.
Have a wonderful Holiday!

Emma @ Bake Then Eat said...

Have a grate Holiday Season and see you next year oh and these noodles look fab :D

Helen (Grab Your Fork) said...

Love dry wonton mee! Sometimes I cheat and just use instant noodles when I'm desperate. lol. Have a fab holiday!

Cheri Savory Spoon said...

Hi Von, have a wonderful holiday!!

Amelia said...

Hi Von, Merry Christmas and Happy New year to you.

Love your delicious wonton mee, look so good. Thanks for sharing your version.

Best regards
Amelia

Bali Tour said...

Great Article :)
Thank you for the recipe
I will try to cook

Related Posts with Thumbnails