Monday, November 3, 2014

Spring Fruits Asian Cream Cake


If there's one thing I learnt from making this cake, it's that I really need to learn to read labels before buying things!

I'd made a quick visit to the local supermarket to buy the cream for this cake, but being in a rush, I picked up the low fat version, and bought it anyway since it's healthier anyway. Bad decision. The bottle clearly says not for whipping, but I didn't want to waste it so I attempted whipping it up and failed, of course. I got it to sort of whip up in the end by adding some gelatine, but it's really not the same.



With strawberries and blueberries having been in season for the past couple of weeks, and at really affordable prices, I thought I'd quickly make a cake with them especially as strawberries are something I'm always missing when I'm making cakes (cakes always look so much better with a bit of red I think!). I filled the cake with custard, and a layer of strawberry mousse (to fully make use of the punnets of strawberries I had in the fridge) just to make it a little different to my normal Asian cream cakes.

But all the effort went to waste in the end, since the cream didn't taste any good, and the mousse didn't turn out too well either (since the cream didn't whip up). Oh well, there's still time before the berry season ends for me to make another one of these! :)


No recipe for today, but I did my usual sponge cake recipe which never fails me!



6 Comments:

Maureen | Orgasmic Chef said...

Thank you for sharing a fail. I normally toss mine in the bin and start over on a new day. It's good to know I'm not alone. :)

Nava K said...

I seldom bake Von but I love the gorgeous cake. You sure can bake and thumbs up for it.

Cheri Savory Spoon said...

Hi Von, well maybe a fail but it sure is beautiful!

Amelia said...

Hi Von, your this cake look beautiful, delightful and refreshing. Wish I can have 2 slices now. LOL
Well done.

Have a nice day ahead,regards.

Emma @ Bake Then Eat said...

I wish my kitchen fails looked this good, mine usually end up in the bin after I have had a strop about the whole thing!!! ;)

Anonymous said...

Damn delicious!!!
my mon used to add fruit too within the layered cake...

Related Posts with Thumbnails