Friday, July 4, 2014

Profiteroles


There are some foods which I am disappointed by every time I try, not matter how many chances I give them. One such food which falls into this category are profiteroles, of which I've tried quite a few versions- big, small, chocolate coated, chocolate flavoured, cream filled, custard filled etc.......and am disappointed every single time :(

The reason, though kind of silly, is my own fault because I always expect them to be crispy on the outside (because they look like they would be! or is it just me?), so when I bite into them and realise they're soft and airy, and then remember that the same thing has happened numerous times before, I can't help but feel disappointed. Chocolate coated ones are slightly better though- at least the chocolate layer is crispy (sort of)!



I decided to have a go at making them myself, thinking perhaps they'd taste better homemade. Whilst they were crispy straight out of the oven, they didn't have much flavour, so I had to wait til they cooled down to fill them, by which time they had softened, just like every other profiterole I'd ever eaten before. No surprises there huh?

They were quite fun to make though!!

Profiteroles Recipe
Recipe from 頂尖主廚 法式甜點代表作 (an Asian cookbook with no English name)

75gButter
9gOil
93g Water
93g Milk
5gSugar
1gSalt
125g Flour
1gBaking Powder
4Eggs
  1. Preheat oven to 200degC. Heat together the butter, oil, water, milk, sugar and salt together until just boiling. Add in the flour and mix until combined. Cook over low heat, stirring, for 2 to 3 minutes or until mixture comes away from side of pan and forms a ball. Set aside for 5 minutes to cool slightly.
  2. Add in the eggs one at a time and mix until combined. The mixture should be glossy and should be able to drop from the spoon/whisk.
  3. Using a piping bag, pipe the mixture onto a tray lined with baking paper (or greased tray) into your desired shape/size, or spoon them into round balls if you don't want to pipe. Bake for around 15 minutes (or more depending on the size of your profiteroles), until gold and crispy.
  4. Let cool completely. You may also want to poke a hole on the bottom (right after you take it out of the oven) to allow steam to escape so the profiteroles don't collapse. Fill with your desired filling (I put custard in some and whipped cream in others)



20 Comments:

Emma @ Bake Then Eat said...

Choux pastry is always kind of boring hence why you need the chocolate and cream to make them interesting. Yours look good though :D

Amelia said...

Hi Von, love your cream puff. Yours look very delightful, well done! My all time favorite to go with coffee.

Have a nice weekend, regards.

Display name said...

The puffs look perfect!

ela h.
Gray Apron

Lilli said...

That's so cool you made profiteroles! They look great, even if they're not crispy!

Unknown said...

Hi Von! They look perfect! I'm sure it tasted as good as it looked with the custard in it. :)

Angie's Recipes said...

We love profiteroles! Yours looks fantastic, Von.

Hester @ Alchemy in the Kitchen said...

Yum, love profiteroles. I have a friend who thinks they are called portfolios. I never order them in a restaurant because then they kinda do taste like portfolios :( Best made fresh at home. Great job!

pam said...

I'm sure even a mediocre profiteroies is better than none at all!

Anonymous said...

Shame, the profiteroles lacked flavour. Maybe fill it up with Nutella might help :P

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

I love turning the dough into gougeres by adding grated cheese...so yummy! Maybe you'd like those better?

Anonymous said...

Looks amazing!! I love pastries!!

Unknown said...

Well, even if you were disappointed, they look fabulous to me!

dina said...

i haven't had these in a long time. they look great!

Cakelaw said...

Your profiteroles turned out beautifully! It's a shame you don't like them, because you make very good ones.

Gloria Baker said...

I think look reallly delicious:))

Cheri Savory Spoon said...

These look delicious, absolutely perfect!

Tandy | Lavender and Lime (http://tandysinclair.com) said...

I love the airiness of a good choux pastry and yours sounds like it was a great one!

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

They look divine!

Cheers,

Rosa

Emma | Fork and Good said...

I totally know how you feel, but I can't imagine profiteroles any other way now. They are bloomin hard to eat sometimes though... if you've got a bowl of them at a restaurant and they give you a spoon and then they won't cut open!

Yours look lovely though!

Joanne said...

I wonder what would happen if you fried them after stuffing with cream....I bet those would get some crispy outsides!

Related Posts with Thumbnails