Saturday, July 19, 2014

Potato Nachos

Potato Nachos

I was trying to figure out a quick lunch to make with the few ingredients we had a home one weekend, when I thought of the potato nachos I'd seen on some food blogs, and decided to make one myself. I made a bean based filling as I wasn't keen on defrosting what meat we had in the freezer, though I'm sure it'd taste better with meat! My potatoes were small so it doesn't look as impressive as the original version, but it still looks pretty cool, especially for a 10 minute* job!

10 minutes not including the time it takes to make the potato skins because that takes forever!

Potato Nachos
Recipe adapted from taste.com.au and bon apetit

Ingredients:
Around 4-6 medium/large potatoes

1 tablespoon oil
1 large brown onion, finely chopped
1 small red capsicum, diced
1 small green capsicum, diced
2 cobs of corn, kernels removed
400g can diced tomatoes in juice
420g can four-bean mix, rinsed and drained
1/2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
1 cup reduced-fat grated tasty cheese

1/2 avocado, peeled, cored
2 tablespoons lemon juice

For the potato skins:

  1. Preheat oven to 190°C. Prick potatoes all over with a fork and rub with oil; season generously with salt and pepper. 
  2. Place potatoes on a rack set in a rimmed baking sheet. Roast until very soft when squeezed and skin is crisp, 60-75 minutes. Let cool. To speed it up, I boiled my potatoes instead- this just meant that in the next step, I had to increase the baking time for the skins to crispen up.
  3. Raise oven temperature to 230°C. Halve potatoes and scoop out flesh (save for another use), leaving a ¼ inch border attached to skins. Brush both sides of potatoes with oil and season insides with salt and pepper; place on a rimmed baking sheet skin side down and bake until crisp and golden, 10 minutes.
  4. When cool enough to handle, slice eat potato skin into 2-3 slices

For the nachos:

  1. Heat oil in a large heavy-based frying pan over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, for 2 to 3 minutes or until onion is tender.
  2. Add red and green capsicum, corn kernels, tomatoes, beans and Tabasco. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer until vegetables are tender and beans are heated through. The original recipe said to simmer for 20-25 minutes, but I only simmered for about 5 minutes and it was all cooked through.
  3. Preheat oven to 200°C. Arrange potato skins on heatproof serving plates. Sprinkle with half of the cheese. Spoon over bean mixture. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake for 10 minutes or until cheese is melted. As I was in a rush, I skipped this step, and sprinkled the cheese over the mixture in the pan and let it sit for around 5 minutes whilst it melted. Then I arranged the potato skins on a dish, and poured the mixture over.
  4. Place avocado into a bowl. Add lemon juice and mash. Dollop over dish and serve.


13 Comments:

Ivy Sew said...

Hi Von, love this Potato Nachos of yours. From the look of it, I can immediately tell you that this is very yummy and irresistible. Love all ingredients used in this Potato Nachos. Thanks for sharing and you have a nice day. Regards :)

Unknown said...

Looks quite delicious. I could definitely make a meal from this!

yummychunklet said...

Tasty take on nachos!

Cheri Savory Spoon said...

Hi Von, loving this nacho potato dish, potatoes are one of my favorite things!

Julie said...

Your nachos look really good! Also I think you could definitely promote this as a healthy recipe, maybe even helping to reach that elusive 5 a day vegetable target ;)

Emma | Fork and Good said...

These look perfect, Then again I love anything with potato and beans. Yum.

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Scrumptious! This is a tasty combination.

Cheers,

Rosa

Angie's Recipes said...

Quick and easy to prepare and it looks very tasty too.

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

Looks like a darned tasty lunch!!!

Tandy | Lavender and Lime said...

I haven't tried making these for a long time and you've inspired me to change that. I have potatoes and avocados waiting in the kitchen for some love:)

Helen (Grab Your Fork) said...

Sweet. This sounds like an awesome idea - for a snack or for dinner!

Emma @ Bake Then Eat said...

I would be more than happy with a bowl of this for my meal, I love the potato nacho idea :)

Marcela said...

woooow! i love this nachos ! i've never tried to prepare ones by myself!

Related Posts with Thumbnails