Friday, July 11, 2014

Napoleon Pastry (Asian Style)

Vondelicious has moved to BerryNutritious.com.au
You can find this post (and more!) over at my new home: 
http://berrynutritious.com.au/2014/07/napoleon-pastry-asian-style/

When I first started using the internet to search for recipes (before my blogging days), there were so many things I couldn't find, especially when it came to the less commonly eaten things that I'd wanted to make. And even less so, recipes that actually seemed reliable!

Napoleon Pastry

I'd been searching for a recipe for napoleon pastry/napoleon cake for a while before giving up and forgetting about it. I'd wanted to make them the way I'd always known- that is, the type they sell at Asian bakeries (cripsy biscuit-like pastries of puff pastry, walnuts, and sponge cake or whateverelse the bakery felt like putting in), but the only thing that google came up with was vanilla slice (perhaps the more common version/definition of napoleon).

I'm sure there's plenty of recipes online for this particular version now, but I was reminded of my quest to find such recipe when I came across it in an Asian cookbook. This particular version uses puff pastry to sandwich together buttercream and walnut meringue, which is quite similar to one of my favourite versions of this pastry. It's a bit fiddly to put together because you have to put together the three components, but it's well worth the effort- these pastries are amazing! There's plenty of textural contrast, with layers of flaky, buttery pastry against soft meringue and crunchy walnuts which impart a fragrant nuttiness.

The photo really don't do these justice (they didn't last long enough for me to take good photos!)- they taste a lot better than the mess they look like!!

Find the recipe on my new site:
http://berrynutritious.com.au/2014/07/napoleon-pastry-asian-style/

16 Comments:

Ivy Sew said...

Hi Von, this Napoleon Pastry looks great and yummylicious! I would love to come over for tea with you, may I? hehehe.. Thanks for sharing and you have a fabulous day. Cheers :)

Emma | Fork and Good said...

Oh man that looks good. So airy... is it crispy?! I've never had a napoleon pastry before!

Emma @ Bake Then Eat said...

This looks really good I am glad you were able to recreate the recipe you had such fond memories of. I have to admit I use store bought puff pastry most of the time, I have made it from scratch but it is so time consuming!

Nami | Just One Cookbook said...

I love the flaky texture of napoleon pastry! I would love to make it one day. <3

Display name said...

Nice, I never thought about making my own napoleon, they just look so complicated. Thanks for the recipe and the tips. Your turned out fantastic!

ela h.
Gray Apron

Cakelaw said...

This cake sounds really good. I know of a different version of Napoleon cake with puff pastry, sponge, jam and buttercream icing on top - an old fashioned cake you don't see much now.

Cheri Savory Spoon said...

Hi Von, wow! walnut meringue, sounds delicious! I think your pictures turned out great!

Helen (Grab Your Fork) said...

Awww I had a small obsession with Napoleons from St Honore during my uni days. Yours looks just like the ones in the shops!

Tandy | Lavender and Lime (http://tandysinclair.com) said...

oh my! That meringue sounds divine, and it looks amazing :)

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

A fabulous creation! Your Napoleon pastries look divine.

Cheers,

Rosa

Lilli @ sugar and cinnamon said...

Wow this looks so tasty! And such an interesting recipe~ I've never tried anything like this before

Angie's Recipes said...

So flaky and wonderfully delicious with walnut filling.

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

Wow, what an incredible combination of flavors and textures! That's one lovely dessert!

Joanne said...

Napoleon recipes have always eluded me also, but this one is now bookmarked! I think yours looks gorgeous!

Val said...

Hubby didn't like the store bought one so I hope to make this. Just wondering on two ingredients. 1) syrup in butter cream. How much sugar and water is used to make it? 2) can I use fresh egg whites instead of powdered and if so how much do I need?
Thanks

Von said...

I forgot to mention, i didnt bother using syrup i just replaced it with powdered sugar amd added until it was sweet enough for me. As for the egg white you can definitely use fresh egg white though I'm not 100% sure of the substitution.... I would substitute the equivalent weight of the egg white powder and water added together

Related Posts with Thumbnails